Library Days

The happiest days of my childhood, those I couldn't spend wandering the woods, were spent in a library.

The small town library in Randolph, NY, was started as a private library more than 100 years ago, and was chartered as a public library in 1918. That's where I encountered Rachel Carson on the shelves of Natural History, and where I read biography and history and poetry - but fiction was reserved downstairs for Adults Only. Luckily, my mother would venture into the basement to keep me stocked with novels.

My elementary school library was presided over by the estimable Mrs. Bohall, who made me a library aide. I enjoyed shelving books using the Dewey Decimal System, and still have the book (Ocelot) that I received as a gift at the end of the school year.

The high school library led me to encounters with The Once and Future King, Uhuru, On the Beach, and The Lord of the Rings, while the James Prendergast Library in Jamestown offered opera recordings (and The Who) as well as a labyrinth of wonderful words. 

So when libraries call, I answer.

On Sept. 21, I will conduct a free fiction workshop from 9-11 a.m. at the Catawba County Public Library, Newton, NC, followed by a reading.

And next April, I will take part in a fundraising effort at the Rowan Public Library in Salisbury - 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on April 26. 

I hope to see you at one of our  precious libraries!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Bloggers!

My Next Big Thing